Looking for an item that is not available or already checked out? We can help you place a hold on items in the Valley Library Connections catalog or borrow items from other libraries.
Check out the video above, or click here for written instructions on how to place a hold online!
Reserve Items by Placing a Hold
To place a hold on any item in the Valley Library Connections catalog, ask at the Help Desk, call the library, or use the online catalog. When your requested item arrives, you will receive an automated phone call, email or text and will have seven days to pick up the hold. It is free to place holds, but there is a limit of 15 holds per card at one time.
To place holds using the online catalog 24 hours a day:
- Log into your account. This will require your library card number and your personal identification number (PIN). If you don’t have a PIN set up, you can request one the next time you visit your library.
- Find an item in the catalog and select the “PLACE HOLD” button.
- Your home library will be your default pick up location or you may select another location.
- Once the item is placed on hold, you’re able to keep track of the titles you’ve requested, your place on waiting lists and whether your hold is pending (checked out to someone else), in transit to your pick up location, or arrived.
- Sometimes it is not a convenient time for a reserved item to arrive. You can log and pause your hold. Once paused, if the item arrives, it will go to the next person on the list until you reactivate your hold. When you reactivate, you will automatically return to your correct spot on the list or the top of the list.
- When your item arrives, you will receive an automated email, phone call, or text (contact library staff if you want to change your contact method).
- You will have seven days to pick up your hold. Holds not picked up within seven days of notification will be canceled.
Reserve Items through Interlibrary Loan
If you are looking for a book that is not in the Valley Library Connection’s catalog, you might want to consider requesting an Inerlibrary Loan. This is a service where we borrow the book for you from another library system.
To request an Interlibrary Loan, call or visit the Help Desk at the Fishersville Library. You will need to have the title and author of the book you are looking for, as well as the publication date if relevant. There is $5 fee that must be paid when your item is requested. This covers the cost of shipping the book to and from the lending library. Please allow two weeks for the arrival of your interlibrar loan materials. If, for some reason, we are unable to find a lending library, we will refund your $5 payment.
Once you Interlibrary Loan item arrives, you will receive a phone call or email. Your book will be picked up and returned at the Check Out Desk at the Fishersville Library. Please note, most Interlibrary Loan materials are not renewable.
- The Library staff will assemble a collection of materials for use in the classroom or home school upon request.
- Subject bundles may be placed on hold in person, by phone, or online.
- At least one week’s notice is requested.
- Units will be held for up to one week from the scheduled pickup date and will then be returned to circulation.
If you would like to submit a request for materials, click here or on the button below.