Getting a Library Card
Augusta Count Library cards are free to all Virginia residents, starting at birth. To get your library card:
- Fill out our online application or a paper application at any ACL location
- Verify your current address by showing either (a) your drivers license (b) a Virginia ID or (c) a utility bill with your current address
For children under the age of 12, a parent or guardian must also apply for a library card and sign a child’s application card. (Note: An ACL card gives children access to all materials in the system. If you desire to limit your child’s access to any library services, you should make this desire known to your child.)
Residents of other states may obtain a card with a $25 deposit and may check out no more than two items at one time. The $25 deposit will be refunded upon clearing the account and turning in the temporary card.
An Augusta County Library card gives you three times the borrowing power through a cooperative effort with the Staunton Public Library and Waynesboro Public Library called the Valley Libraries Connection (VLC).
- You can use your card at all five of the ACL locations as well as the Waynesboro and Staunton Public Libraries to check out books, movies, music, audiobooks, puzzles, puppets and more. Our catalog system shows the holdings of each library.
- You can place a hold on items at any location and and have them delivered to the location of your choice! Courier services run between the three main libraries each business day and to the outlying Augusta County Library branch and stations every week.
- Your library card allows you to use public access computers or to check out a laptop computer.
- You may return materials at whichever library is most convenient to you or to our books returns in Verona and Weyers Cave.
- Cards are valid for 2 years!
Or connect with us online: