Getting a Card
How to Get a Library Card
Augusta County Library cards are free to all Virginia residents, starting at birth. To get your library card:
- Fill out our online application or visit any ACL location
- Verify your current address by showing either (a) your driver’s license (b) a Virginia ID or (c) a utility bill with your current address
For children under the age of 12, a parent or guardian must also apply for a library card and sign a child’s application card. (Note: An ACL card gives children access to all materials in the system. If you desire to limit your child’s access to any library services, you should make this desire known to your child.)
Residents of other states may obtain a temporary card and may check out no more than two items at one time.
An Augusta County Library card gives you three times the borrowing power through a cooperative effort with the Staunton Public Library and Waynesboro Public Library called the Valley Libraries Connection (VLC).
- You can use your card at all ACL locations as well as the Waynesboro and Staunton Public Libraries to check out books, movies, music, audiobooks, puzzles, puppets, and more. Our catalog system shows the holdings of each library.
- You can place a hold on items at any location and have them delivered to the location of your choice! Courier services run between the three main libraries each business day and to the outlying Augusta County Library branch and stations every week.
- Your library card allows you to use public access computers or to check out a laptop computer.
- Your library card also allows you to download digital magazines, audiobooks, and ebooks for free and gets you access to online databases.
- You may return materials at whichever library is most convenient to you.
- Cards are valid for 2 years and then will need to be renewed.
From movies and books to cake pans and CDs, Augusta County Library lends a variety of materials to its library card holders. Learn more below. (Please note that Fast Traxx DVDs are currently unavailable for checkout.)
You can also read the full Borrowing Policy online.
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Limit Per Card|
|Puppet Kits||21 Days||3|
|Book Club Kits||28 Days||1|
|STEM Kits||21 Days||1|
|Memory Kits||21 Days||1|
|Mobile Hotspots||21 Days||1|
|Nature Backpacks||14 Days||1|
|Frontier Culture Museum Passes||7 Days||1|
|Cake Pans||7 Days||1|
- Parking lot use only at the Fishersville Library. Click here for more information.
- Lending Period: 2 hours
- Renewal Limit: May not be renewed
All items are now automatically renewed up to three times. Please note that if an item has a hold on it, it cannot be renewed.
How do I return items?
All materials may be returned in any of ACL’s book drops, as well as the book drops at Staunton Public Library and Waynesboro Public Library.
Reserving Library Items
Looking for an item that is not available or already checked out? We can help you place a hold on items in the Valley Library Connections catalog or borrow items from other libraries.
Click here to learn more.