The Augusta County Library welcomes in-kind donations from local business, corporations, families and individuals. All non-monetary gifts are considered “in-kind” donations and can include, but are not limited to:
- Goods and services, discounts, or coupons used for incentives
- Food and drink
The following principles will guide the Augusta County Library in the solicitation and acceptance of gifts, grants, or support to enhance or develop library programs and services:
- It must further the library’s mission, goals, objectives, and priorities.
- It must safeguard equity of access to library services.
- It must protect the principle of intellectual freedom.
- It must ensure the confidentiality of user records. The library will not sell or provide access to library records in exchange for gifts or support.
- It must leave open the opportunity for other actual or potential donors to have similar opportunities to provide support to the library.
- Gifts of books or other library materials will be accepted in accordance with the terms outlined in the Augusta County Library Collection Development Policy.
Letters from the Library Director will be sent to acknowledge significant cash or in-kind gifts. Personal notes of appreciation or “thank-you” letters from branch or department staff are also encouraged.
Cash or in-kind gifts to the library from donors that are made directly to the Augusta County Library or the Augusta County Library Foundation will be acknowledged by the respective organization directly to the donor based on their acknowledgement policies and procedures.
Public acknowledgement of sponsorship in the library’s promotional materials will normally be restricted to a statement of the sponsor’s name and a display of logo.
In all cases, the type and scope of donor recognition required by the donor will be weighed against the benefit to the library.
All gifts, grants, or in-kind support given with special requirements must be approved by the Library Board (or director). The solicitation of gifts, grants, or in-kind support by library staff and valued at over $500 must receive prior approval of the Director.
Adopted by Library Board 07/20/2011